Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Food Stamp Challenge - Day 5

LAST DAY! I decided to cook the rice for breakfast and eat the last of the plums. All I can think of is when I'm going to be able to eat a full meal. I couldn't live like this forever, I don't know what I would do. After class today, I'm going to cook the macroni and the rest of the veggies in a butter and black pepper sauce. I'll probably make some toast as well. Now that I'm looking at my meal choices and what's cheaper in the stores, people who have to live this lifestyle must develop serious health problems. I see major cholestorol issues from all the butter usage, possibly high blood pressure because things with sugar seem to be cheaper. I tried to balance everything out while shopping with the food pyramid, but protein as in meat was the most expensive. I did purchase nuts, but I can only eat so many peanuts and I don't know if I'm getting the correct amount of protein from a couple ofs handfuls. I took a chance to feel what it's like to walk in someone else's shoes, and it was amazing. When you're never full but surrounded by others who eat until they're busting at the seams and then waste the rest of their food, it hurts your heart. Although I am fortunate enough that I don't have to live this lifestyle forever, everytime I go food shopping I'm going to think of the people that have to put things back because they cannot afford it. I'm going to remember the people who can only afford to spend $3 a day on food and my heart will go out to them, because it's a frustrating (to say the least) way to live.

No comments: